The Philippine Association of Real Estate Boards, (PAREB) traces its beginnings to November 7, 1938, when the Manila Realty Board (later called Manila Board of REALTORS® or MBR) was organized by Colin McCrae Hoskins. It was the first realty board in the Philippines. Joining Hoskins in the board were Jose Araneta, Federico Calero, Jose Felix, Rosendo Subido, J. Perez Tagle and Tomas de Vera.
When MBR was accredited as an affiliate of the then National Association REALTORS® Board (NAREB) of the USA (now NAR-USA), the MBR members were given the first right to exclusive use of the trademark REALTOR® in doing real estate business in the Philippines. The trademark was patented to NAREB and registered with the U. S. Patent Office under Document Nos. 519780 and 515200, and with the Philippines Patent Office under Document No. 5385.
On September 18, 1951, the Davao Realty Board (DRB) was organized with the assistance of REALTORS® Lucio Ildefonso, Federico Calero and Aurelio Aquino. It was incorporated on July 29, 1952, with REALTORS® Juan Espolong, Joseph De Tagle, Alfonso Mata, Jose Tinio and Enrico Nograles as its first members.
On February 3, 1953, NAREB recognized MBR as a national organization and elected REALTOR® Federico Calero as a NAREB Director.
When REALTOR® Antonio Varias succeeded Calero as MBR president, he felt that MBR and DRB would not constitute a national association. Varias wanted more boards organized in other urban centers of the country to make the association truly national in scope.
In 1955, Varias appointed a committee to organize more real estate boards. An intensive campaign was launched. People who wanted to become real estate brokers were taught and made to take the broker's licensing examination.
Five years later, PAREB was formed. The charter members were 9 Boards and 6 individuals.
THE BOARDS Manila Board of REALTORS® Davao City REALTORS® Board Quezon City Board of REALTORS® Pasay City REALTORS® Board Baguio REALTORS® Board Bicol REALTORS® Board Cavite REALTORS® Board Cebu Board of REALTORS® Negros REALTORS® Board
Date Founded November 7, 1938 September 18, 1951 September 9, 1958 March 14, 1959 January 2, 1959 March 1960 February 14 , 1960 February 1960 December 28, 1959
THE INDIVIDUAL MEMBERS
Ernesto G. Castañeda Ramon F. Cuervo, Jr. Alberto E. Filamor Artemio U. Valencia Rosendo V. Donida Ciriaco N. Montano
The signing of the Articles of Incorporation, which was held on April 29, 1960, was witnessed by Bureau of Commerce Secretary Manuel L. Lim and Director Rizalino Pablo.
The Articles of Incorporation was notarized on May 15, 1960 (adopted as the birthday of PAREB) and was approved by the Securities and Exchange Commission on June 2, 1960.
The original incorporators and the first Board of Directors were as follows:
INCORPORATORS Marcelo S. Balatbat Alfredo Buot Federico Calero Juan Espolong C. M. Hoskins Lucio Ildefonso Teodoro Kalaw, Jr. Aurelio Locsin Macario Mariano Domingo Pascual Juan M. Ruiz Rosendo O. Subido Antonio Varias Tomas de Vera Juan F. Zarate
BOARD OF DIRECTORS Alfredo Buot Juan Espolong Lucio Ildefonso Teodoro Kalaw, Jr. Aurelio Locsin Macario Mariano Domingo Pascual Juan M. Ruiz Rosendo O. Subido Antonio Varias Juan F. Zarate
On Sept 7, 1960 the Bureau of Commerce issued a Certificate of Recognition to PAREB in accordance with Section 28 of Commerce Administration Order No. 60-1, making PAREB the Bureau's official consultative body at the national level for the real estate industry.
On November 2, 1960, NAREB signed an agreement with PAREB. The agreement effected recognition of PAREB as a national association and as NAREB's sole affiliate in the Philippines. Also, the agreement passed on from the Manila Board of REALTORS® to PAREB, its constituent boards and members, the authority to use the trademark REALTOR® and the block "R" logo in doing real estate business in the Philippines. NAREB president C. Arnel Nutter signed for NAREB, and PAREB president Antonio Varias for PAREB. Witnessing the signing, which was held at the Ceremonial Hall of Malacañang Palace, were Philippine President Carlos P. Garcia and U.S. Ambassador John Heckerson.
On November 12, 1990, a supplemental agreement was signed between PAREB and NAR-USA (formerly NAREB). The agreement specified that PAREB would see to it that the trademark REALTOR® and the block "R" logo shall be used in the Philippines only to identify real estate professionals who are members in good standing of PAREB and bound by the REALTORS® Code of Ethics. PAREB Immediate Past President Ernesto Villamil signed for PAREB, and NAR President Norman Flynn signed for NAR-USA.
On June 29, 2009, Republic Act (R.A.) No. 9646, or the Real Estate Service Act of the Philippines, more commonly referred to as the RESA law, was signed into law by President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo to professionalize and regulate the practice of real estate in the country. With industry changes, NAR did not renew its agreement with PAREB, but instead offered membership and the use of its trademark REALTOR® and the block "R" logo to licensed real estate practitioners through the Chamber of Real Estate and Builders’ Association (CREBA).
Despite this disappointment, PAREB remains committed to be at the forefront of professionalizing the real estate service profession, as well as promoting and expanding trade linkages to ensure dynamism in the real estate industry to assist in the government’s efforts towards genuine and sustainable development.
During its golden anniversary year, PAREB purchased its new home. The PAREB CENTER is a two-storey building located at P.E. Antonio St. (near corner E. Rodriguez Jr. St. or C-5), Brgy. Ugong, Pasig City - a full service center for its members. The fresh and modern-looking building was blessed and officially opened on May 15, 2011, PAREB's 51st anniversary.
PAREB stands proud of being the oldest and the largest real estate service organization in the country, composed of 61 member boardsstrategically located nationwide, with over 3,600 members.